Albanian Ornithological Society (AOS) in partnership with the Protection and Preservation of Natural Environment in Albania (PPNEA) are jointly implementing the project “Combating Illegal Killing and Illegal Taking of Birds in Albania” supported by EuroNatur Foundation and financed by the MAVA Foundation.
The phenomena of illegal killing and trapping of bird in Albania (IKB) is still considered a serious threat in the environmental crime spectrum. According to the latest reports, the number of birds killed illegally in Albania within a year varies from 206,000 – 325,000 individuals. These figures rank Albania among the first 10 Mediterranean countries with the worst record with regards to illegal killing and trapping of birds.
Furthermore, this project aims at strengthen the implementation and legal aspects on hunting, fauna, biodiversity conservation, awareness in all levels as well as enhancement of collaboration and partnerships among public authorities, civil society organizations and public domain.
The specific objectives of the project “Combating Illegal Killing and Illegal Taking of Birds in Albania” are:
- Reduce IKB in the project areas of Semani, Terbufi, Lalzi bay and Tirana.
- Revise the extent and characteristics of IKB in Albania and evaluate its impact on decreasing bird populations,
- Improve the hunting legislation in Albania, towards a more responsible and sustainable hunting,
- Raise awareness and education on the impacts of IKB including illegal killing, illegal trapping and other methods of massive harm to wild birds
Duties and Responsibilities:
The National Advocacy Expert will work in close cooperation with the project team to complete the following tasks.
- Gather data and baseline information for indicators with regards to advocacy efforts to combat illegal killing and trapping of birds in Albania.
- Identify key partners to work on the implementation as well as to design the approach and strategic advocacy interventions for reducing and combating the illegal killing and illegal trapping of birds in Albania.
- The consultant, in close collaboration with key stakeholders, implementing, executing agencies and other partners, will identify the gaps in institutional mechanism and capacities in order to provide a proper advocacy strategy against in combating the IKB in Albania.
- Design an effective campaign that will eventually help in shifting public opinion towards bird preservations, and discourage the phenomena of illegal bird killing.
- Engage in multi-stakeholder consultations and planned meetings with communities, such as relevant Ministries, NGOs, civil society and other interested parties.
- Assist the IKB Team in organizing meetings and consultation sessions at national level and targeted sites as well as providing necessary data and information.
- Develop and adopt a comprehensive long-term National Advocacy Strategy and Action Plan on Combating the Illegal Killing and Trapping of Birds in Albania.
The key deliverable of the National Advocacy Expert include:
- A baseline information report to be used for IKB project.
- A report on stakeholder analysis and involvement strategy with regards to combating the illegal killing and trapping of birds in Albania.
- An advocacy strategy which comprises interventions to address gaps and advocacy to combat illegal wildlife killing in Albania.
Payments will be done upon completion of the deliverable/outputs and as per below:
- Deliverable 1: Submission of the first baseline information report – 20% of the total contract amount; (04 April 2019)
- Deliverable 2: Working alongside with the National Team in order to complete the report on stakeholder analysis and engagement strategy -20 % of the total contract amount; (31 May 2019)
- Deliverable 3: First draft of full project national advocacy strategy – 20 % of the total contract amount; (30 June 2019)
- Deliverable 4: Final comprehensive technical documentation of National Advocacy Strategy for the IKB project in Albania – 40 % of the total contract amount; (31 July 2019)
- Education on communication, social science, and/or related fields;
- At least 5 years’ experience in the field of communication and advocacy on nature conservation;
- Knowledge and understanding on illegal wildlife killing and trapping issues, biodiversity conservation and protected area management;
- Experience working with government agencies, non-governmental organizations and local practitioners related to natural resource management and socio-economic research.
The overall amount made available under this Call for Consultant is 2500 EUR. The parties agree to deduct the income tax from the amount of contract value, which will be paid by the Albanian Ornithological Society (AOS).
Contract Duration: 01 March 2019 – 31 August 2019 (5 months)
The closing date for applications is 28th of February 2019. Interested individual consultants must submit the personal CV in the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org