AOS – Albanian Ornithological Society seeks proposals from architecture studios or individuals practicing the profession of architect, who provide design services for concept-ideas, more specifically in relation to the design of the creation of long-term, sustainable, and ecological nesting habitats for the Little tern (Sternula albifrons).
AOS – Albanian Ornithological Society in cooperation with the Regional Agency of Protected Areas – Fier Region (RAPA FIER) and representatives of the local community, has been taking concrete measures for years to rehabilitate or improve the population status of flagship species in Divjaka-Karavasta National Park. Based on several successful years of experience with the Dalmatian pelican (Pelecanus crispus), in the creation and expansion of natural areas for the reproduction of individuals of the colony as the only breeding ground on a national level for the species. Similarly, we seek to follow the same strategy by expanding and creating new opportunities on a level of natural physical habitats, utilizing the most sustainable and eco-friendly materials.
Divjaka-Karavasta National Park, an “oasis” of biological diversity, a crucial habitat for many migratory and wintering species, as mentioned above, offers natural nesting spaces for many species of wildlife; thus, increasing the biological values not only on a local level, but also on a national and international level, consequently ranking among the Parks with high biological diversity. Nevertheless, these natural habitats have been threatened for years by various factors that have led to the reduction of physical areas for reproduction, among many other consequences.
In parallel with other actions for the conservation of species undertaken by AOS in cooperation with the local institutions and community, there were conducted periodic monitoring of the bird community present in the Park thus assessing the status of flagship species, population changes, increases and decreases, behaviors, habitats, nesting sites, and other indicators.
Through continuous monitoring for several years, among others, there have been noticed tendencies or nesting attempts by little terns on some islands near the island of the Dalmatian pelican, within the Karavasta Lagoon. Smaller in surface area, these sites/islands through expansion management, rehabilitation, or modification of existing or potential space, can be turned into vital spaces for these species.
This need comes in response to the latest challenges faced by wildlife groups, which lay their eggs on the ground and in the vicinity of water complexes and surfaces in wetlands. Climate change, rising water levels, tides, erosion are the main causes in the degradation of these potentially nesting habitats for waterfowl.
In addition, the Albanian Ornithological Society (AOS) seeks to increase the areas, spaces, and nesting sites in the aforementioned islands, by expanding the potential areas for reproduction and rehabilitation of these sites. The aim of implementing this action, completely oriented towards concrete measures for conservation and rehabilitation, is closely related not only to improving the status of the species in these target areas but also to increase and strengthen the population on a national level.
In conclusion, the call is addressed to all architecture studios or individuals that practice this profession and possibly have experience in providing similar services, who can come up with concrete conceptual proposals for the design of the rehabilitation of the two targeted sites, with the following criteria:
- with 30-40 m2 of usable area each,
- with materials and structures as stable as possible and resistant to extreme weather conditions, salinity, humidity, etc.,
- the construction should not be flooded, therefore it should be taken into account the elevation above the water level, above the tide level, etc.,
- the construction should be secured from predatory threat; again, it is suggested to consider the elevation above the water level, physical enclosures but with durable materials etc.,
- the construction preferably should be made of wood. If variants in the form of floating platforms are suggested, it would be more favorable but also the scenario of the construction of a variant well fixed on the ground accompanied by gripping or fixing with metal is preferred.
- The geographical position where the intervention will take place has these geographical coordinates: 40°57’52.6″N 19°29’58.5″E 964606, 19.499575.
We expect proposals for the conception and design of targeted sites, which target or address the above-mentioned issues while meeting the aforementioned criteria by March 26 at our e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org. The concept package should contain:
- a PDF variant of the design of the platforms, as well as how the proposal stands in relation to the island,
- a JPG variant of the design of the platforms, as well as how the proposal stands in relation to the island,
- details on an engineering level, i.e. the suggested material that is going to be used, the dimensions and other necessary information, and
- the financial offer for concept-idea proposal.